Wednesday 22 July 2009

Sometimes you have to let people go

Well it's been a tough week. I hate the part of being a business owner when you have to let a member of staff go. Trouble is, no matter how many chances you give, if they don't understand what it is you want from them, you will never help them to succeed and the company can suffer. You can't 'carry' anyone in this climate, they all need to contribute to the work they are doing, you can't do it for them. I must remember to have enough stock and not let it slip! I had to stay up till gone 12 on two nights last week to make sure the cloths were washed for the cleaners the next day. Found a great wesite and ordered loads more, so now I can get some sleep!!! Still working on the tender, guy from Croydon Council turned up and was very helpful. I think I understand it now. At least I know the questions to ask. Worked on a two day End of Tenancy, getting very stressed because I must work on the business not in it. Decided not to do any more cleaning for now. Started a new guy for on Monday for the heavier work and to train to do End of Tenancy cleans. It's really difficult when you know you have to let go, but you also know you are the only one that can do a perfect job. We have a fantastic reputation for this type of clean, i mustn't let anyone do them without it being their core work. I just don't feel confident in anyone at the moment. Inundated with work at the moment - got three more EOT cleans and two gardening jobs - fantastic!!! Grand opening of the willow project at the primary school finally hapened. The mayor was there to open it, even if the head did get my name wrong!! Envibe have now nominated us for another environmenatl award for the project. It's great to give something back. The project will be on-going. I hope they go with the meadow idea. Hopefully got a new customer for my Utility business. One more to go, then I can get paid. Whoop! Whoop! Had to cover a cleaning job on Saturday because the cleaner wasn't up to it and let me down, but I couldn't let the customer down and it was an EOT. Sunday worked with grand-daughter on a clean. it's good she learns that you have to earn your money, not run to mum and dad all the time. It's becoming a real family firm now. My son is joining us, so that makes 4. It makes you feel good, like the business will be looked after when you can't be there. Great networking this week. BNI, Envibe training,Cut to the Chase and Makro win a mini. Definately going to train a team of two to do the EOT cleans. I guess the more they do the better they will get.

No comments:

Post a Comment